A twist on the traditional transit. The Axis can take simultaneous measurements of strike & dip, trend & plunge, dip & dip direction, and bearing & angle, making data collection faster and easier than ever.
*DISCLAIMER* - Large quantity orders or special balancing will take additional production time.
- measurement style: unique, simultaneous methods
- dimensions: 3.9 x 2.8 x 1.2" | 10 x 7 x 3cm
- weight: 12.1 oz | 341.6 g
- azimuth: +/- 1/2˚ w/ 1˚ graduations
- hinge dial: +/- 1˚ w/ 2˚ graduations
- plumb clinometer: +/- 1/2˚ w/ 1˚ graduations
- lid protractor: +/- 1/2˚ w/ 1˚ graduations
- declination adjustment: +/- 180˚
- Unique dual axis hollow hinge allows for easy and intuitive measurements of any line or plane.
- The lid rotates 360˚ around both axes, making measurements possible for any surface including overhangs. The lid can extend or create the measurement surface itself.
- The default orientation of compass North makes this the only transit in the world that can measure strike & dip simultaneously. A simple rotation of the azimuth ring also allows simultaneous measurement of dip angle & dip direction if that is preferred.
- A secondary axis of rotation and lid protractor allows simultaneous measurement of trend & plunge.
- The hollow hinge/sighting tube allows for direct horizontal and vertical sighting measurements.
- Hinge dial enables dip angle measurements and also serves as a versatile protractor.
- Excellent contact and sighting measurement capabilities.
- Dual long-level bubbles allow the user to level the compass from the sides and bottom.
- The flat bottom allows for easier dip angle and dip azimuth measurements at low angles.
- The needle can be set to lock automatically, allowing for accurate readings.
- The precision NdFeB disc magnet provides very accurate readings and resists demagnetization.
- Our magnetic needle can be balanced for use almost anywhere in the world.
- Induction dampening makes for a quick-settling needle.
- A sapphire jewel bearing allows for smooth needle movement throughout the life of the instrument.
- The needle lock button can lock or free the needle, depending on the model.
- The internal components are sealed with an O-ring for improved water and dust resistance.
- All transits are compatible with our Jacob’s Staff/Tripod ball and socket adaptor.
- Each model is available in either Azimuth (0-360) or Quadrant (0-90) formats.
- Each comes with a protective leather case, perfect for carrying your Brunton in the field.
- Made in the USA in Riverton, WY.
Video Series on the Axis Transit Available!
DETAILSA twist on the traditional transit. The Axis Transit can take simultaneous measurements of strike & dip, dip & dip azimuth and trend & plunge, making data collection easier and faster than ever.
Designed by geologists for geologists, this unique instrument allows measurements and data to be collected much more efficiently than with traditional transits. The patented design of this transit makes difficult field measurements extremely easy and it allows for multiple measurements to be gathered at once. The needle can be set to lock automatically ensuring accurate readings when the face of the instrument is not visible.
We know that your transit is a life-long investment, that is why the internal components are sealed in place with an o-ring and the hard-anodized finish resists bumps, bangs and scratches.
Brunton compasses are proudly made in the USA. All transits and the bulk of compasses are designed, developed, hand-built, and sold across the world via our factory and global headquarters in Riverton, Wyoming.
As true specialists in high quality tools, our aim is to inspire, educate, and support professional pursuits and outdoor exploration.