A twist on the traditional transit! The Axis is the only transit in the world that can take simultaneous measurements of strike & dip, trend & plunge, dip & dip direction, or bearing & angle, making data collection more efficient and intuitive. Invented by the geoscience educators who are now the owners of Brunton, this transit is revolutionizing how geological measurements are made. Leather case is included.
Needle Balancing: If your main region of transit use will not be in the United States, your needle will need a special balance. Please visit the Needle Balancing Page to identify your main zone, and select it below.
Loading Your Options
Enter your engraved text here (Limit 30 characters) Approx 1 week lead time
• Unique dual axis hollow hinge allows for easy and intuitive measurements of any line or plane.
• The lid rotates 360˚ around both axes, making measurements possible for any surface including overhangs. The lid can extend or create the measurement surface itself.
• The default orientation of compass North makes this the only transit in the world that can measure strike & dip simultaneously. A simple rotation of the azimuth ring also allows simultaneous measurement of dip angle & dip direction if that is preferred.
• A secondary axis of rotation and lid protractor allows simultaneous measurement of trend & plunge.
• The hollow hinge/sighting tube allows for direct horizontal and vertical sighting measurements.
• Hinge dial enables dip angle measurements and also serves as a versatile protractor.
• Excellent contact and sighting measurement capabilities.
• Dual long-level bubbles allow the user to level the compass from the sides and bottom.
• The flat bottom allows for easier dip angle and dip azimuth measurements at low angles.
• The needle can be set to lock automatically, allowing for accurate readings.
• The precision NdFeB disc magnet provides very accurate readings and resists demagnetization.
• Our magnetic needle can be balanced for use almost anywhere in the world .
• Induction dampening makes for a quick-settling needle.
• A sapphire jewel bearing allows for smooth needle movement throughout the life of the instrument.
• The needle lock button can lock or free the needle, depending on the model.
• The internal components are sealed with an O-ring for improved water and dust resistance.
• All transits are compatible with our Jacob’s Staff/Tripod ball and socket adaptor.
• Each model is available in either Azimuth (0-360) or Quadrant (0-90) formats.
• Each comes with a protective leather case, perfect for carrying your Brunton in the field.
• Made in the USA in Riverton, Wyoming.
• MEASUREMENT STYLE: unique, simultaneous methods
• DIMENSIONS: 3.9 x 2.8 x 1.2 in | 10 x 7 x 3 cm
• WEIGHT: 12.1 oz | 341.6 g
• AZIMUTH: 1˚ graduations w/ ± 0.5˚ accuracy
• HINGE DIAL: 2˚ graduations w/ ± 1˚ accuracy
• PLUMB CLINOMETER: 1˚ graduations w/ ± 0.5˚ accuracy
• LID PROTRACTOR: 1˚ graduations w/ ± 0.5˚ accuracy
• DECLINATION ADJUSTMENT: ± 180˚
"Bought this transit over a year ago and very happy I did. Well worth the extra expense considering how quickly and precisely it takes structural measurements. I had used a Brunton Geo previously but the Axis is much more advanced and makes the geo obsolete due to its double rotating lid." - 10/28/2019
Anonymous (5 STARS)
"I purchased the Axis transit in March and have to say it’s really incredible! I am out in the field for much of the year and take lots of analog measurements. I converted from my old Brunton to a German Breithaupt transit a few years back and it worked well but I must say it doesn’t even come close to the functionality and ease of the Axis! Sighting is easier, the needle dampens very quickly, and the two axis construction is genius for measuring angles! The Axis has also held up well from field use and will continue to serve me well for years to come I’m sure."
PROUDLY BUILT IN WYOMING
Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.